Canada and the UN – “In the News”
Want to learn about Canada’s relationship with the UN, but don’t know where to begin? Here’s a list of recent publications and news articles to get you started.
- Canada officially adopts UN declaration on rights of Indigenous Peoples, CBC News, May 19, 2016.
- Canada to join UN anti torture protocol after years of delay, CP, May 2, 2016 Macleans
- Trudeau Promises to Sign United Nations Arms Treaty, CP, October 7, 2015 Huffington Post
- Strong UN in Canada’s Interest, Foreign Affairs Officials Advise, Rosemary Barton, September 29, 2015 CBC.
- The World Needs Canada to Be a Meaningful Member of the UN, Justin Trudeau, September 27, 2015, Huffington Post Blog
- Bureaucrat to speak for Canada on last day of UN General Assembly opening, September 22, 2015 Ottawa Citizen
- Canada is missing in action at the United Nations, Omar Aziz, August 12, 2015 The Globe and Mail.
- Foreign affairs experts slam Stephen Harper’s relationship with the U.N., Andy Radio, September 24, 2014, Yahoo News.
- Despite being in New York, Harper will shun UN podium again, Lee Berthiaume, September 20, 2013, National Post.
- Canada won’t run for UN Security Council seat in 2014, Stephanie Levitz, May 1, 2013 The Globe and Mail
Canada’s Human Rights Record
- Canadian Human Rights Commission outlines Harper policies that need to be changed in wake of Liberal victory, National News, October 20, 2015
- UN report slams Canada’s human rights record, Donovan Vincent, July 23, 2015 The Star Canada.
- UN Human Rights Committee Slams Canada’s Record on Women, July 23, 2015, CBC News
- UN Report on Canada’s Human Rights Record A ‘Wake-Up Call’, Zi-Ann Lum, July 23, 2015, Huffington Post
- Canada backsliding on human rights, UN committee says, Chris Cobb, July 23, 2015, Ottawa Citizen
- Bill C-51 not in keeping with Canada’s international obligations: UN, Stephanie Levitz, July 23, 2015 The Globe and Mail
- Canada’s controversial terrorism law criticized by UN human rights group, July 23, 2015, The Guardian
- 5 concerns raised in UN report on Canada, Marlene Leung, July 23, 2015, CTV News
- Minister Nicholson Announces Support to United Nations Population Fund Efforts to End Child, Early and Forced Marriage, July 20, 2015, DFATD News Releases
- Feds, UN Clash Over Potential Rights Violations by Canadian Mining Companies, Mike Blanchfield, July 8, 2015, Huffington Post.
- BCCLA at United Nations to slam new bill that would turn peaceful protestors into criminals, December 15, 2014, BCCLA
- UN Urged to Declare Canada’s Treatment of Aboriginals ‘Genocide’, Michael Bolen, Updated December 12, 2014, Huffington Post.
- UN chastises Canada over immigration detention, including un-deportable man jailed 8 years, Nicholas Keung, July 24, 2014, The Star
- Canada’s aboriginal well-being efforts ‘insufficient,’ UN envoy says, Susana Mas, May 12, 2014, CBC News.
- UN urges Canada to hold national inquiry on missing aboriginal women and girls, Bruce Campion-Smith, May 12, 2014, The Star
- UN report on aboriginals warns of crisis in Canada, May 12, 2014, CTV News
- UN Human Rights Council: HRW’s Submission for Canada’s Universal Periodic Review, October 10, 2012, Human Rights Watch
- Canada ‘standing on the sidelines’ of UN peacekeeping, former envoy says, September 29, 2015, CTV News.
- Fact Check: Does Canada still contribute to peacekeeping? Murray Brewster, September 29, 2015, CTV News.
- Countries asked to step up peacekeeping efforts, Lynn Desjardins, September 28, 2015, Radio Canada International
- Canadian peacekeepers in Sinai unequipped to deal with ISIS insurgency, experts warn, Amanda Connolly, September 3, 2015, iPolitics.
- Can Canada’s army return to peacekeeping? Mitch Potter, March 29, 2015, The Star.
- How Canada has abandoned its role as peacekeeper, Michelle Shephard, October 31, 2014, Toronto Star
- Canada should do more to help peacekeeping efforts, group says, QMI Agency, August 9, 2014 Toronto Sun
- Canadian peacekeepers quietly deploy to Haiti, Levon Sevunts, June 20, 2013, Radio Canada International.
- When did Canada Stop Being a Peacekeeping Nation? Glen Pearson, Updated February 19, 2013, Huffington Post
- Justin Trudeau’s promise: Action on climate change, Michael Woods, October 29, 2015, Metro Ottawa
- Premiers agree to attend Paris climate summit with Trudeau, Bruce Cheadie, October 23, 2015, CBC News
- Brad Wall headed to Paris climate change summit, October 21, 2015 CBC News
- UN hopes Canada’s new leaders will get behind climate deal, October 20, 2015 Yahoo News
- Trudeau has chance to fix our climate change image, Tyler Hamilton, October 20, 2015, The Star
- At UN, Canada urges focus on financing for climate change mitigation, adaptation, October 3, 2015, UN News Centre.
- What the UN SDGs Mean for Canada’s North, Paul Crowley, September 28, 2015, Huffington Post Blog.
- Canada blasted as ‘climate laggard’ in international report, The Canadian Press, June 5, 2015, CBC News
- International community asking hard questions about Canada’s climate ambition, The Canadian Press, June 5, 2015, Calgary Herald
- UN panel calls Canada a climate laggard, Shawn McCarthy, June 4, 2015, The Globe and Mail
- UN secretary general chides Canada on climate change record: CBC reports, The Canadian Press, December 4, 2014, The Globe and Mail.
- PM defends quitting UN desert convention, says it’s too bureaucratic, Mike Blanchfield, March 28, 2013, CTV News
About the Canadian Civil Liberties Association
The CCLA is an independent, non-profit organization with supporters from across the country. Founded in 1964, the CCLA is a national human rights organization committed to defending the rights, dignity, safety, and freedoms of all people in Canada.
For the Media
For further comments, please contact us at email@example.com.