In this episode of Justice Vs., we take a look into the classroom and speak with organizer Becky McFarlane about the fight for LGBTQ2S+ inclusion and why queer visibility is so critical for youth. Later, we speak with Kyle McGiverin, a teacher who uses his position as an educator to normalize queer experiences and produce a queer-inclusive school environment.
For resources mentioned in the podcast, please see below:
- The 519 – The 519 is a Toronto-based non-profit organization committed to the health, happiness and full participation of the LGBTQ2S communities. They have a multitude of in-person and online resources, such as counselling, COVID-19 Resources, Legal Clinics and activities.
- Wyvern, a Novel by Kyle McGiverin – Guest Kyle wrote the award winning novel Wyvern, available at Glad Day Bookshop and Amazon.ca.
- Youthline – Youthline offers confidential and non-judgemental peer support through our telephone, text and chat services. Get in touch with a peer support volunteer from Sunday to Friday, 4:00PM to 9:30 PM. Support Youthline here.
For ways to get involved and join the fight for LGBTQ2S+ inclusion, please see below:
- Find and Support A Local Organization! If you would like to find an organization local to you, here’s a catalogue of organizations across Canada supporting LGBTQ2S+ Communities. You will also see an option to donate to any one you’d like to support.
- Create Safe Spaces for Your Students! If you’re an educator or sports coach who would like to help foster a safe learning environment for students, OK2BME has compiled an excellent list of teaching resources available for free!